This is part of the prefabricated 'tin town' at Immingham (Lincolnshire), put up from 1906 to house workers building a new dock. The houses, supplied by an unknown manufacturer, were timber-framed and clad in corrugated iron; one still remains, now a heritage centre. Shops and a mission church were also erected. These developments were often called ‘tin towns’ by their residents, although wooden versions were also constructed; they were housing and other facilities erected quickly for numbers of people such as troops and workers on specific projects. Army camps with tin towns included Bramshott (Hampshire), Bulford (Wiltshire) and Caterham (Surrey), with their rows of corrugated iron barrack blocks. Humphreys and John McManus were two of the firms most involved with government procurement.